If you like to go camping with your family and friends make sure you know some basic First Aid and always carry a First Aid kit with you. By knowing a few basic skills you can save a person’s life.
* Remember what the snake looked like so you can describe it to medical help. They will need to know what kind of snakebite the victim received.
* If the victim has been bitten in the arm or leg, keep the limb below the level of the heart to slow down blood flow from the affected area. This will prevent poison from reaching the heart. Remember the more the victim moves the faster the poison spreads through his system so try to keep him quiet and still.
* Get the victim to a hospital immediately.
Watch for sign of shortness of breath, drowsiness or vomiting. If you notice any of these symptoms and you are far away from a hospital, tie a constricting band two inches above the bite. Do not tie the band too tight. You should be able to slip your finger under it. This will help to slow the blood flow away from the bite and help prevent the poison from reaching the heart. For this procedure to work properly the band should be applied 30 minutes after the bite occurred. If the area keeps swelling remove the band and apply it two inches above the swelling.
* Remove the stinger immediately by scraping with your fingernail or the tip of a pocketknife.
* Clean the affected area with soap and water.
* Apply calamine lotion, first aid spray/cream or made a baking soda mixture by adding a little water to it. This will control swelling.
Always watch for signs of an allergic reaction which include:
* Shortness of breath.
* Headache and cough.
* Slip into unconsciousness.
Minor Insect Bites
* Clean the area.
* Apply first aid cream/spray.
* If the area keeps swelling or drainage occurs, seek medical help immediately.
* Check inside the mouth to see if you can remove any food, etc.
* If nothing is there, do the Heimlich Maneuver:
1. Stand behind the person wrapping your arms around his waist. One of your hands should be made into a fist.
2. Your fist should be placed against the person’s abdomen above the navel and below the breastbone.
3. Cover your fist with the other hand and press with an upward thrust. Have someone call for medical help while you are doing this.
If you suspect a person has broken a bone, keep the injured limb as still as possible. Call 911 for help and try to remain calm. Do not give the person anything to drink and remain with them until medical help arrives.
Apply ice immediately to reduce swelling and elevate the ankle while you call for medical help.